Tuesday 25 October 2011

Cooking is inspirational

Hello everyone.....today i am going to talk to you about the movie Julie And Julia......and how i thoroughly enjoyed the ideas Julie had about blogging about her cooking...the only thing in her life that she could have control over. Her life in the movie is pretty bleak...living over a pizzarea in a small apartment....and cooking from a miniscule kitchen!!! Her job not to mention was very impersonal and how shall i put it quite regimental!!! Stuck behind a desk with a machine to keep you company all day Julie's inspiration and motivation was at the end of the rung. Droning of voices, human beings expressing anger, boredom, frustrations and sadness all in  day in Julies ear-piece....as she sat there meeting an ends to a means...means to an end. She certainly did not find any joy in her career.......Julie's life was lack-luster....and Julie was dying a slow agonising death in her mind......when a light bulb effect caught her fancy in the form of Blogging about her other Love in her life Cooking!!! Cooking gave her a joy beyond imagination. she knew exactly how the chocolate sauce would taste after she cooked it and she had some control over her performance. She knew that if she was in the kitchen, amidst her pots and pans and her spoons and ladles she was a winner, ...a star. It brought meaning to her life. It brought the zest and sparkle to her life.....it was almost like watching a metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly.......so mesmerizing was the effect of her licking the ladle in her tiny kitchen. To watch the absolute ecstasy of her talk through her chocolate sauce!!!! Then a winner was, when she decided that she would blog about her cooking. Julie Powell comes up with the plan to save herself from the dread of her everyday existence. She undertakes to cook 524 recipes in 365 days. This is just an amazing experience...and like everything in life she goes through highs and lows, troughs and peaks of cooking, burning, chopping, hacking and sometimes murdering her ingredients and items to cook. It has a funny side and a gentle real side to the story.......................you should all go and watch it....you won't regret it.
I have some quotes for you all to enjoy from the movie........
The movie spoke to me personally as well. Last year due to the lack of time and a part time job that i could enjoy....i took up cooking. My friends in the community were always asking me for Indian recipes, and when m daughter went for play-dates, i sent some Indian food over with her to share with her friends............
One day, a dad said to me...." Gosh! that was so lovely,....i could eat 10 of them! have you ever thought of selling them. i could buy it off you!" I was dumb struck, never had i toyed with the idea of actually selling what i cooked, but i was persuaded into it....and i have no regrets about it. My friends mentioned that they would go and pick up some fish and chips for take-away dinners every now and then, and it was not the healthy option, but a change.... so i could do that and they would be happy to come and pick it up form my place. Therefore i decided to give it a try.... Thus began my story...Once upon a time,.....there was a poor princess....who found a magic pot and cooked Indian Curry and became Rich and Famous.....HA!! Ha!! That's just a big Joke!!  But that is how i started. I made a menu on a Monday, emailed it to a list of friends in the Bay. They would email me their orders by Wednesday or Thursday. I would do the shopping on Thursday, and all the prep work. After i got back from College, i would start my cooking on Friday afternoon. The pick-up time was 6pm. It worked very well. I was in seventh haven with the aroma and flavours...i didn't need to eat...i was already full. I was full of soul food! The little Indian Curry fan list grew longer and longer. My kitchen was a little meeting spot for neighbors and i had them sitting around my dinner table chatting and talking and it was a melting pot of cultural amalgamation. I can't tell you who enjoyed themselves more, the chappy customers or the very happy cook!!! It is a little gem of a memory i have since tucked away amongst so many more.....to share with you again another day!! Until then enjoy the quotes below......that i too immensely relate to!!!     



‘Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it.’
‘It’s so beautifully arranged on the plate – you know someone’s fingers have been all over it.’
‘The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.’
‘Life itself is the proper binge.’
‘Drama is very important in life: You have to come on with a bang. You never want to go out with a whimper.’
‘Dining with one’s friends and beloved family is certainly one of life’s primal and most innocent delights, one that is both soul-satisfying and eternal.’
‘Everything in moderation, including moderation.’
‘The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a ‘What the hell?’ attitude.’
‘Tears mess up your makeup.’
‘Always remember: If you’re alone in the kitchen and you drop the lamb, you can always just pick it up. Who’s going to know?’
Refernces:
 Retrieved on 25/10/11 from:http://yellowmagpie.com/julia-child-quotes/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shilmoni, the way you have reflected and described the story of Julie,and her enjoyment of cooking with her pots and pans all around her reminded me of times when I have all my scrapbooking equipment and pages I'm working on in front of me - Ah it's SO GOOD to be able to stop all the hectic, not so enjoyable parts of life, and just surround yourself with things you love and enjoy. It also made me very hungry, I love chocolate sauce. I love the quotes at the bottom of the page, they made me laugh. :-)
    It made me wonder if maybe you could put some photos of food you have prepared down the side of the page, to illustrate it, and show us what you like to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of your customers for your takeaways ,I know you made my family happy .I really love the passion you have for food and it comes come across very clearly on your blog.I have no suggestions how to make it better but you can always put more recipes on especially every stuffed Roti
    cheers David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shilmoni, I love your blog but I must say that I had a hard time reading it as the font isn’t the easiest to read. I’m glad that you get to share your culture with so many people and that they enjoy your food =) I had fun when we watched Julie and Julia and you’re right cooking is very inspirational to us all in different ways. You're an inspiration to all of us with your love of cooking =D

    ReplyDelete