Thursday 20 October 2011

The need for "Cooking"

I definitely have a need to cook....most often than not. I also cook Asian and European meals  every now and then as i do like a variety of food and also like to tease my taste-buds with different food, i cook dinners that would be exotic in my country. Almost a novelty to eat mashed potatoes with gravy and roasted pumpkin and Kumara....yes, that is right, you may ask any other Indian walking in the street, .....You will have to visit a 5 star restaurant and a European/Western restaurant to eat steak, mashed spuds, and roast veges........i am not joking. At least that has been my experience in India. I had to visit a very good restaurant who specialized in Western menus. Whereas you will get  tandoori chicken and curry in every nook and cranny in the city........that is the way of the world! Coming back to my need to cook is that i feel so much in touch and grounded with myself when i cook. Sometimes i even put on some Indian music and hum along to the tune......you can imagine that i feel bodily/physically transported back to my home country like Alladin in his magic carpet. My closest or my truest need to cook would be to feed my family and sustain life.....but the most joy i get out of cooking is the element of culture, color, smell and taste i derive form my Indian cooking, and also sharing something that is close to my heart with my family. All my senses are brought alive when i cook Indian meals. Memories from the past get resurrected, smells take me to flash-backs of yester years that are locked in my brain. All the happy hormones in the brain are released giving me an all good feel..... I also feel the nurturing part of me take control when i cook and i take the "Mother Earth Provider " and i like this role..............in speaking of roles...and the need to take on roles...i have been reflecting on is determined with life stage and the life experiences you have along the way.............the need and desire to do anything in life is how shall i explain.......expression of your spirituality and who you are as a person. Your creativity is a portrait of your personality, very unique and priceless. You don't have to be famous or rich with your creativity, but just something that brings a smile to you and joy to your soul......if you know what i mean!!! In line with what i feel about my need and life stage.... i like what Shakespeare writes in " As You Like It"     
All the world's a stage
And all the men and women merely players;
They have their exits and their entrnces;
And one man in his time plays many parts;
His acts being seven in ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse's arms.
Then the whining school-boy, with his satchel
And shining morning face, creeping like snail
Unwillingly to school. And then the lover,
Sighing like a furnace, with a woeful ballad
Made to his mistress' eyebrow. Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the bard,"..................and so on goes his ballad. (Christiansen 2010).
So much for tonight's blog..... always rejuvenates me when i blog..........

No comments:

Post a Comment