Wednesday 19 October 2011

More on spirituality

Spirituality...the essence of who we are and who we leave behind.......the works of our hands and the mind are so intertwined, that it is hard to separate the two....and why should we...after all we are unique human beings and indiindividuals that have a purpose upon this earth.......
The need to belong not just to another but to the self finally defines and gives you a place on this earth. Cooking belongs to me and i belong to cooking in myriad ways that you can imagine....where i come from, where i m today and what i bring with me and take with me and leave behind when i go all reflects in my cooking. The need to cook, the why must i cook, the why shouldn't i cook are questions that make up my cooking history. The words of Ryan Dickson, speaks to my mind when he says, " The through his knowing and the work of his hands, leaves behind not only part of himself, but also part of his ancestors and those of the people-connection past to present to future, and people to people."  When i cook i bring in a little bit of my past and knit it with my present which will live on through my daughter in the future....my spirit lives on . I find this aspect of labour and craft and creativity surreal and worth while. Gives me meaning that i was born as a human being and leave the world a bit richer and a bit wiser(i hope). My little contribution in making a future for our children.........I may never, i am sure i will never climb the Mt. Everest or travel to the moon...or even be rich and famous and live in a mansion....(not that i have any such aspirations), but i will definitely connect to my spirituality via cooking and feeding and sharing and laughing, and chatting, and exchanging stories and recipes, and celebrating and crying and mourning and creating and experimenting and meeting and connecting and bonding and nurturing and developing all of this and  so much more..... i will soar like the eagle high upon the deep blue sky while cooking and connect to all the elements of nature.....free and uncomplicated.....
Spirituality is multidimensional. As explained and quoted from Poloma & Pendleton, " There is a robust connection between personal well-being and a concern with the spiritual. The " faith factor" emerges as a significant contributor to quality of life indicators such s life satisfaction, happiness, self-esteem, hope and optimism and meaning in life."

1 comment:

  1. Shilmoni,I loved reading this post. The way you've written it sounds and described everything sounds so and beautiful!It is amazing how much more food is connected with indian culture than NZ culture, have you noticed it much?
    Pip :)

    ReplyDelete